Rotio® Compass - The most intuitive design tool
For greater control and more accurate linework.
Simple but intuitive
The most simple and intuitive design tool to complement natural creativity and add a new layer to the design process.
The Rotio Compass was created by two professional industrial designers after noticing how many people are reluctant to draw and express their creativity through fear of being judged.
‘Part of this issue is that the bar has been set so high, people don’t have the confidence to draw’.
Our aim is to encourage more people to be creative.
Two sizes. Two colours.
Introducing the Rotio Standard and the Rotio Plus compass.
Both size compass are available in black or silver finish, we'll contact you after the campaign for your choice.
The holes are spaced at 5mm radius increments and has a circle range of ⌀40mm to ⌀140mm for the standard size and to ⌀40mm to ⌀200mm for the plus size.
The proportions were developed around the standard A4 paper size. The largest circle of the Plus size fits within the width of an A4 paper sheet.
Undecided on which size? Most designers prefer the Rotio Set, one of each size.
The final prototypes have been made by the chosen manufacturer, we are ready for production.
The Rotio Compass has been entered into design awards:
Why the Rotio® Compass is not just another compass.
1. Precise and considered design. We have worked hard to create an intuitive and efficient design tool that gives a completely new drawing experience. Simply place on the page, your finger on the centre and rotate with a pen.
2. Designed to last. The body and centre are manufactured from recyclable materials, the machined aluminium compass is tough and robust. While the cartridge bearing at the centre allows for smooth and accurate arcs, curves and circles, the evenly spaced holes have been sized to accommodate a range of pens and pencils.
3. Built to for control and accuracy. While other compasses can be hard to use, the Rotio Compass has a stable base for accurate and defined line work. With greater control over the pen, the Rotio Compass allows you to go over and vary the line weight for greater depth and contrast to your sketching. Compared to a traditional compass, drawing full circles using the Rotio Compass is much easier, particularly for younger users.
4. Leave no mark. As the Rotio Compass has no sharp point, it grips the page using a concealed nitrile o-ring. There are no marks or unsightly damage on the page leaving your work pristine.
5. Accurate line up. The hole in the centre is sized to make it easy to line up on specific points.
Design and Development.
Many different styles and versions of the compass were prototyped and tested. The design was finalised to two sizes, a small and a large known as the Plus. Larger versions, proved useful for a greater range of arcs but compromised usability when drawing smaller arcs. Likewise a version with more holes, at half increments, compromised the aesthetic of the product while providing arguably limited utility improvement.
Why have we created the Rotio® Compass.By creating a tool that is simple and intuitive to use, we hope the Rotio Compass breaks some of the stigma surrounding drawing and sketching.
It is honest. It does not try to be any other tool - it is purely a compass. This is important as many other tools add features that do not improve the experience and are not utilised by the consumer.
We have balanced the compromise of aesthetics and utility. The product has its limitations, it cannot draw a circle of any size, there are fixed increments. However this lends the compass a refined aesthetic and a purposeful form.
We have an experienced design team of professional engineers and designers, from a number of industries, having worked for prestigious clients in the past.
Both the standard and the Plus compass are ready for manufacture. The final prototypes have been made by the manufacturer of the product and we are confident of shipping on time. Our design philosophy is to produce simple and well designed products. This does not make it immune from difficulties but the simplicity inherently reduces risk.